Vaccination against COVID-19 is vital for people living with disability and pre-existing health conditions. Everyone over the age of 12 is now eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccination.
You may have questions about the vaccine and need assistance to make a booking. Here's a list of useful contacts:
- You can speak to your GP or doctor for advice about the vaccine. You may be able to book a vaccination appointment with your GP if they offer the COVID-19 vaccination.
- You can call the Disability Gateway for free information about COVID-19 on 1800 643 787 (Monday to Friday 5 am – 5 pm).
- If you need information in a language other than English, you can call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450 and ask to be connected to the Disability Gateway.
- If you are deaf or have hearing or speech impairment, you can call the National Relay Service on 1800 555 677 and ask to be connected to the Disability Gateway.
- The Department of Health has helpful information about COVID-19 for people with disability here, including Easy Read and Auslan resources.
Ability WA can support you to make a booking or attend a vaccination appointment.
From 1 December 2021, all Ability WA employees must receive their first COVID-19 vaccination dose. The requirement follows the WA Chief Health Officer's directions for those working in the disability sector.
Vaccine Booster Dose
All adults who have received both COVID-19 vaccination doses are eligible for a booster dose. The timing of your booster dose depends on when you received the second dose and what brand of the vaccine you received.
The booster dose is available through Commonwealth & State-run vaccination hubs and some GP clinics and pharmacies.
You can access more information about the booster dose here or by calling the Disability Gateway on 1800 643 787.
Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination
The Western Australian Government has announced their roadmap to opening the WA borders to other states. The State’s transition plan requires you to carry with you proof that you have received the COVID-19 vaccination to enter some community events, businesses and facilities.
You can access your COVID-19 vaccination certificate via the Medicare portal on MyGov, or via the Express Plus Medicare app. If you do not have access to these online services, you can request a copy through the Australian Immunisation Register by calling 1800 653 809. It can take up to 14 days for your statement or certificate to arrive in the post.
If you access the community with an Ability WA team member's support and cannot access proof of your vaccination on your smart device, please print a copy of your COVID-19 vaccination certificate to store in your wallet or Profile Book.
If you would like support to arrange access to your proof of vaccination, please speak to your Support Coordinator or contact person at Ability WA.
The Services Australia website has helpful information on setting up your online account to access and store your proof of vaccination. You can access the website here.
Here's a video that explains how you can access your proof of vaccination.